SARA MEETING MINUTES - March 9, 2011 (approved 4/13/11)
Call to order: 7:30 PM
Presiding: Jim Boswell, KA5SIW
17 Present - see attached sign-in sheet
The February 9, 2011 minutes posted on the SARA website were approved.
Treasury: by e-mail from Jim Lommen
SARA Account TARA Account checkbook balance 1/31/2011 balance $ 6,526.50 $ 320.08 $ 6,846.58 Debits:
Deposits: + 30.00 + 30.00
1/31/2011 balance: $ 6,556.50 $ 320.08 $ 6,876.58
ARES: Vern Leavitt KD5UHB reported that the New Mexico ARES net meets on the first and third Sunday evenings at the EOC. Beginning March 20 the net will start at 7:30 PM.
LEPC: Doug May KF5AVG reported that the LEPC had a special meeting February 14, chaired by Vern Leavitt KD5UHB, to discuss the results of the Arctic storm of Feb.1-6. This discussion will be continued at the regular meeting tomorrow. 94 travelers stranded in Socorro when I-25 was closed Tuesday, Feb. 1 were housed by the City in two shelters: the City Youth Center and the Finley Gym.
Charter School: Jon Spargo KC5NTW said that the Charter School has agreed that outsiders may join the six students in taking the radio exams on Saturday, May 7 at 1:00 PM..
TARA: No report
1. NM Homeland Security and Emergency Management Area 5, which includes Socorro and Bernalillo counties will be getting a new communications trailer from FEMA. The trailer will be kept by Bernalillo County but available to us for emergencies and special events. Vern Leavitt KD5UHB and Bear Albrecht W5VZB attended the Area 5 coordinating meeting last fall. This trailer, which can be towed by our ambulance, will replace our present radio trailer. Special training will be required for those who will operate the new communications trailer. We will also have to certify the drivers of the ambulance.
2. The Mesilla Valley Radio Club http://n5bl.org is manning a Special Event Station K5B for the 22nd Annual Bataan Memorial Death March Marathon on Sunday March 27. There will be two routes on the White Sands Missile Range, a 26.2 mile and a 15.2 mile. They have invited us to join them in providing communications support for the event. The walkers leave at 7:05 AM. See www.bataanmarch.com.
3. The NM QSO Party on Saturday, April 9 goes from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM. HF + 6 meters, CW, phone, and digital modes. Stations outside of NM work only NM stations. Stations in NM work everyone. Scoring incentives for CW, low power, and QRP. Club competition is new this year. The highest combined score from all members will win a "great prize." Complete information at http://pages.swcp.com/~n5zgt/nmqsoparty/
4. The Tour of Socorro Event, Saturday and Sunday April 16, 17. Radio operators needed for both days. Contact Dave Johnson KB5YIW. www.socorro.com/ssr/tour/
5. 5. Prescott Grey W1PCG and Clarence Seagraves AA5RH membership renewals are due in March.
Adjournment: 7:57: pm
Doug May KF5AVG, Secretary